My builder woes! lol

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by koolpc, Oct 11, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::):)

Seems it's not all it's cracked up to be.:p

Wouldn't expect it to crack, if joint is taped, so some frame movement...:rolleyes:

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

It was taped. Frame is solid. One plasterer told me that they should have put the plasterboard more flush with existing wall as it was 'all' being skimmed. They didn't though.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You are always after pics of cracks!! A fetish or what? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :confused:

5. This really looks like a case where the plasterers should be called back to sort it all out.

Unless they were stupidly cheap, then they are getting away with a second-rate job. It was not set up properly, it was not prepared properly, they did not use the correct techniques.

And you are having to use a kind of 'bodge' to compensate. It ain't right, man.

If done neatly, lining paper can obviously be ok. But it does need doing properly - no visible joins, no visible edges at t'ceiling, etc no visible overlaps around corners...

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I agree DA. But we dont want them back. I sanded down again today. Will prepare area and then paint again. If no joy the i will line and paper.

Sad that we have trades that just dont care. Gives a bad name to those that have pride in their work.

7. If any of it is on an outside wall and you think it would benefit from additional insulation, there is 'wallrock' which not only adds insul, but also covers a multitude of thingies.

Really, tho', if tradespeeps aren't forced to come to terms with their poor standard of work, then aren't we culpable to some degree?

Anyhoo - happy lining :)

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wallrock Thermal Liner.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good for hiding cracks...:p

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like he could of used the fibre thermal liner in the first place! :rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Think it's 3 or 4mm thick.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probably need two layers for good measure!:rolleyes:

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The procedure is to use the Thermal liner and then line over this with Wallrock Fibre Liner both hung vertically.

15. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Expamet between the joints then plaster?

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Too thick. I notice today that one of the cracks has disappeared! lol. The other i have sanded down and now ready to paint again tomorrow,

Will report back

17. You could also try brushing stabilising solution (eg Everbuild 406) over the crack - keep going as long as it draws it in through capillary action - and then wipe off any excess on the surface.

Allow to dry before over-painting. It might - just possibly - seal and bond yer crack.

(Ooh-er, misses...)

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Painted again today after sorting my cracks out! lol

See how it all dries! Nothing like a wet crack! lol

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cracks are back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus some new ones!!!!!!!!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Think i will paper the walls. What else can i do? I have raked them out and filled them, sanded them a few times now.

Maybe Scrape plaster off a couple inches either side of cracks, use scrim tape then fill and smooth and paint again? Not sure if that would be best idea.

I know we should have had builder back but no way we wanted him in the house again!!

20. You could try chipping away and burying scrim tape, but if there's too much movement in that wall then I fear it might not be a total solution. But you won't know without trying... (quite a bit of work, tho').

You could line-paper, but I have seen plenty of cases where cracks have even appeared through these!

Again, you won't know until you try.

If it's an outside wall, then I'd be tempted to use the Wallrock stuff. Double-whammy.