Part P

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by flateric, Aug 6, 2014.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Wots that yellow animal in your profile pic Flat?

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

In the early days of Part P I can remember at a seminar being told that if a building had a domestic living accomodation in it that the whole building would be classed as domestic.

The floor questioned this asking "what about a flat above takeaway?", "what about a staff flat in a school or care home?".

There was no real outcome, no blanket answer, every installation having to be assessed on their own merits. A flat above a takeway - notify. A flat in a school or care home - don't notify.

I would think the communal areas of flats would be notifiable, and the reason I say this is that when you make an online notification, one tick box is "Where was the work carried out?", and one of the tick boxes is "Communal area", or words to this effect.

3. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

He is flateric from the old levi ads

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Isn't it a case that if the residents share any facilities(access them or use them) it would include part p under some other rule of Building Control or EAW ?
    A block of flats for example, is a residential building where the whole building is shared by the dwellers.
    And if you have the credentials to certificate, you don't need to notify anyone(outside passing the certification to whomever concerned) ?
    No ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. flateric

I will register it, no come back at all then :)

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Registering the job under self certification costs around £6 each time, so you don't want to be doing it for every job if it's not required.

10. flateric

@ JP here is a film

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do's anyone give a monkey's about part P, I don't think I've ever met a householder who's heard of it?

12. flateric

Some one some where ???????????????

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Flats, basically no one knows, not even the scams, there are so many grey areas within the schemes etc and BS7671 that us sparkies have lost the will to live, let alone attempt to comply anymore.......
    Gut feeling is if in any doubt just cert, and make up the results, cos almost all seem to, just a total sham at the mo and nowt will change tbh.

14. flateric

As someone stated elsewhere its the suits buttering their bread :mad:

15. flateric

Had it official it comes under the commercial side and does not need to be notified :)

FatHands likes this.
  16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Result, heavy going though aint it?, as I said so many grey areas still it's hard to know what to do to comply sometimes.
    Rich.

17. Mr. Handyandy

So you can fit lights outside, outside many flats for walkways, but you can't fit a light outside in the garden of someone's house without notifying!?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As long as it's not a new "circuit" you can Handy!

19. Mr. Handyandy

But you can do all this^^^^^without notifying!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. flateric

It comes under the commercial side not the domestic, so not notifiable.