Potential wasp nest

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by bond007, May 16, 2017.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Are they dangerous? Will I have to get them exterminated or will they just go away themselves

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not at all, they will move on in time.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They are regularly found nesting under eaves, behind soffit boards and in cavity walls.
    All bumble bees, workers & queens can sting if provoked, their stings are barbless,so can repeat sting.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I'd agree with Kiab, it's a Bombus Hypnorum, or more commonly known as the tree nesting bumble bee.
    Hmmm the drones (male bees) are actually stingless. And,, there's a couple of varieties of bumble bees with no stings at all. In East Lothian they are known as "Canny Nanny's. We used to catch these type all the time when I was young. Still see them here in Derby and usually catch one or two to show the grandkids. (Yep with the consequences of grandkids picking up the wrong sort, with the usual result. :p:p:p:p:p:p) Teaches them not to touch bumble bees though. :D:D:D

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should added about drones being stingless.:oops:
    And if your lucky to have a bumblebee nest then leave alone, as bumblebees are important pollinators.

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Well i take it back, sf Peter obviously aint bothered about the word ****, probably coz it's in a piccy and it ain't been flagged.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ah, a loophole you say!????

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Hr8oOWf.jpg

Look whats in your attic!!

Attached Files:

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's only a tiddler Kools, seen bigger than, much bigger.:eek: