Pressure testing underfloor heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rileyfinn, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Could you expand on that Plumberboy? In circumstances where a wet leak would be disasterous I often use compressed air at 5 bar and leave it overnight if necessary.
    Thanks.

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

It is tested with water and left for seven days then screed is applied and left for another seven days,so if there was a small leak it will be found before the screeding process,you will notice small water leak in metres and metres of pipe not so easy to notice air though.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  3. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Fit manifold, leave off actuators or loosen, test to pipe spec, normally 1.5 x working pressure, don't worry about removing air it will only compress, leave full incase of damaged by screeders etc, fill through flow or rtn & cap the other

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Just test exactly as the manufacturer specifies. Normally up to 6bar for a day (I've never heard of pressure testing for a week..that would hold the job up!). Then reduce to 1bar for the screed to be put down. If I'm doing a job where I don't know the builder I normally take him and the customer aside and explain the pressure testing process and that if there is a problem after the screed has gone down then it is the builders problem 'cos it was ok before he did his bit.

Normally leave the floor then for about 4 weeks (depends on the time of year) before tiling.

5. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Most manufacture's specify 7 days before screeding, I know Worcester certainly does,it does hold the job up I agree but that is considered good practice.