Problem with neighbour and fencing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mo Slater, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

effect....change produced by an action. (In this case the privacy of her garden overlooked by the CCTV).
    affect.....have an effect on.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  2. Mo Slater

Mo Slater New Member

I just went to his house to ask him if I could have a look. I said I cant commit or give him an answer until I know the final figures for my new kitchen. He said thats fine ill pay for it then you can give me the money later....he said it will be £130 each. He took me outside to see and not only has he removed the fence panel but he has also removed part of the existing wall that is behind my shed and replaced it with bricks that are not the same as the wall. I asked him when they were done he said they have been like that for years. They were not. I didnt realise that when my chipie built my shed he also put up cladding(all done properly with a harris rail etc) behind my shed. This is however inside my boundary and probably 6 inches from where the fence panel was. I said theres a panel there so why do we need to put a wall up? He said im sorry but thats ugly and i really dont want to look at it...Id rather have a nice wall that I can paint! The cladding fence panel my chipie erected is very solid and done properly albeit its a few inches in from the boundary. He kept going on about a letter and next minute he came back into the room with a hastily written letter on a kids exercise book...all written and a space for me to sign at the bottom! He said can you sign this? I said no if I need to write a letter I can do it myself! He said this is just to say you give me permission to build this wall! Im gobsmacked and I feel so pressurised

3. Yeah.

You're still grammerly wrong... :p

4. Mo, there is only so much we can say on here - it's up to you to act on it.

I totally get that he's a 'nice bloke', but he's completely out of order on numerous issues here. As you say yourself, he shouldn't have attached anything to your wall, and good chance that it will cause issues over time as almost certainly his 'pergola footings' will not have any depth to them - so it will pull on your wall.

You told him there should be a gap - after he finished crying, did he change anything?

I fully understand the pressure you may be feeling - these sorts of issues can be very emotive and difficult to handle. But, he's taking the mick - either because he's naive or else because he's chancer - perhaps that's chust the way he deals with things, or perhaps his wife rules the roost.

I really think you need to put down some markers - he needs to know EXACTLY where he stands. You can't let someone who is being patently unreasonable effectively bully you into doing things you don't want and are simply wrong.

You could take legal action against him if you were so inclined! You could force him to reinstate the original fence panel and redo the block wall. And you can certainly FORBID him to do ANYTHING else that TOUCHES your property. I honestly think that's where you are now - he needs to know that you will not tolerate any more intrusions.

Q, Mo - do you have 'Legal Protection on your household insurance? If 'yes', then great. (If 'no', then bar locks...)

Phone them up and ask for advice. If needed, they will put together a letter for you and send it to him - insisting he directs his CCTV away from your boundary and also giving a cease and desist demand on any further contact with your boundary.

Also go - or phone up - your local CAB.

I can't really say much more, Mo - if you don't act, I think you are going to have endless problems.

But - of course - always be civil and always assure the person it ain't personal and you don't want to fall out - but...

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In that case 'I stand erected'.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

corrected!

7. Mo Slater

Mo Slater New Member

Thank you. Yes im going to tell him that I will get a new panel put up then if he wants to build a wall away from my boundary then thats up to him. I dont need a wall there, a fence panel is quite sufficient and im not paying half for a wall just to satisfy him as I know if i say anything about him attaching stuff to it, he'll likely say well i paid for half of it. Ive made up my mind and im sticking to it, i wont be pressured and im certainly not writing a letter. I will talk to him when hes not with his wife so I dont feel the pressure from her

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Astramax likes this.
  9. Mo Slater

Mo Slater New Member

I dont think its a party wall as when i called the council to find out which side im responsible for when i was erecting a new fence on the other side(im end of terrace) the council told me im responsible for both sides. It says this on my deeds

10. Phil the Paver

If its a wall along a boundary its a party wall, if the whole wall is on your side and you still have land on your neighbours side then it's all yours.

11. Mo Slater

Mo Slater New Member

Oh ok, no the original wall as far as im aware is on the boundary, but I was told its my wall.

12. Phil the Paver

The act clearly states it doesn't matter who built/owns the wall, if its on the boundary its a party wall.

Party wsll disputes are a nightmare at the best of times and can become very expensive if pursued in court, so try and settle it out of court.

If your shed blocks the veiw of the offending area allow your neighbour to build a wall, at thier expense, all on their side.

13. Mo Slater

Mo Slater New Member

Ive just been out to try and look behind the shed. This is what is behind it. My chipie put in a panel behind the shed...in my boundary. This is a perfectly good panel....he just doesnt want to look at it!

14. Mo Slater

Mo Slater New Member

Sorry cant seem to upload pic

15. Phil the Paver

To upload pics either put the pics into the gallery on the devise your using this site on or use something like Photobucket.

16. I wouldn't worry about the Party Wall Act as that is really -as far as I know - about shared house walls, eg between terraced and semi houses.

17. Mo Slater

Mo Slater New Member

Thought id give a quick update on this situation as it has now escalated. I went away for work last friday and when I returned my neighbour had a builder there building a wall on my boundary to replace the fence he pulled down. Not only that but he has taken the top off the end post which supports my wall! There is now a big gap. I went next door and said I wish you hadnt gone ahead as i didnt give you permission. I said you clearly want that wall to form the end of your man cave and im sorry but i cant allow that; its against the law what you have done. He kicked off and started shouting and swearing and wouldnt even listen to me. The builder had built a single skin wall of about 3 feet....i didnt see any evidence of any digging for footings. He told the builder to stop. I was getting nowhere with him so i walked out. A few hours later i knocked on the door and asked him if he'd calmed down, i said we need to talk about this as i dont think you understand the planning laws in this country. I told him hes not allowed to destroy my boundary as its my property and what hes done is classed as criminal damage. He said but we are friends and to be honest i dont want a fence there i want a wall! I said but thats my choice what i put there...if you want a wall you are free to build one on your boundary. He said is there anything else ive done thats upset you? I said yes you have cut a chunk out my wall to sink your pergola post into and you have laid a concrete base for a patio and its right up against my wall. He said ok ill remove the post. I went to work yesterday and when i went out this morning i noticed that hes torn down the wall the builder done on sunday! So now theres a gap. I dont understand why hes done that as he took down my fence panel and a huge chunk out my wall, built a wall to replace it and now pulled it down! Hes deleted me off facebook which is so childish. I tried to explain to him that i may want to sell my property in the next couple of years and im keen to avoid anything that could potentially cause me problems. He just doesnt get it!!! I think i may have to call planning enforcement to sort this out

18. BH Party Wall

BH Party Wall New Member

The party wall act also governs excavations close to neighbouring structures and it does in fact govern the erection of new boundary walls. Notice is generally required for both the above and there is usually no right to place the boundary wall astride the boundary without the express permission of the neighbour.

After serving notice there is the right to erect a boundary wall wholly on the land of the one initiating the works although the footings are allowed to be astride the boundary when concentric foundations are necessary. Usually eccentric foundations which do not cross the boundary are used to construct boundary walls.

19. I wonder how Mo got on... :oops:

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would be nice,if OP updated his post thread,annoying when then don't update, also applies to a lot of other threads by other peeps.