repair pierced pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rizo, Apr 14, 2014.

1. If this simple-to-use item works as well as these gents say it does - and I've no reason to doubt them - then there will come a time when you will tsk if you don't have one in your bag. When there is a pipe in a hard-to-reach place, tight against a wall, with poor cutting access around it, etc.

But for accessible leaks/holes/punctures, I suspect most of us will keep on 'cutting and fitting'.

bradley burkert likes this.
  2. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

OK...... 1 last time

How long was the clip actually tested for before the gave it their life expectancy ??

1 day

1 week

1 month

1 year

Other please specify

If that does / can / will not get answered then, it says it all

3. bradley burkert

bradley burkert New Member

The clip is still under pressure now and it is also still on a pipe in my house that I purposely put a screw in it and has been for the last 5 years so in my opinion that must answer your questions, to be honest lads you are the only plumbers that have tried to pull my product down, I am happy you have done this and I value your professional opinion, I can answer any of your questions because we have tested and tested this product so again thank you for your criticism.
    I hope one day you can put your negativity to one side and give click fix a chance to prove its ability.

4. Welshdragon1

Lets clarify

So only us members, on SF, have queried & questioned your product & NO- ONE else ??

Querying & questioning a product is not pulling it down, it's finding out the longevity durability / reliability etc.

Sorry, no - offence, I find that hard to believe considering that on the site (With your namesake (http://www.burkertis.com/ links to your blog http://burkertis.blog.com/2014/01/25/the-process-of-bringing-an-idea-to-patent/)) you linked to, it clearly states
    Therefore, your clear contradiction & thoughts that only us SF Members do not read, speaks clearly volumes & you yourself have not sold the product to me (it could be the best thing since sliced bread) but your words are your words & no-one else's.

I didn't ask how long you personally tested the product for in your own home I asked how long it was actually tested before it was given it's life expectancy (there is a big difference between proper testing & home testing & (guessing you'll not tell us, as you've not done so already)

Ok 5 years in your home is great & does show longevity & a possible great product, but that is clearly not in a proper test facility

When you say it is still "on a pipe in my house that I purposely put a screw in it and has been for the last 5 years"

Is this a Cold water / Hot Water / Radiator or other pipe

but still not quite convinced (yet)

5. Bradley, these are challenging questions, but I think mostly fair.

It's usually pretty obvious when it just becomes 'criticism' purely for the sake of it.

I think Welsh is asking the equivalent of what 'environmental product testing' has this clip undergone to 'prove' its longevity.

For instance, you can bet that each new generation of push-fit fitting undergoes a series of well-established UKAS-accredited tests for pressure, durability of O ring, temp extremes, etc etc.

Has your product - fitted on a, say, 10bar pressurised pipe - been subjected to the extremes of temp one could chust about expect in a home? Ie - from below freezing to nigh-on boiling?

Can it cope with the same range of conditions that a normal Yorkie would?

I suspect that, in the vast majority of cases, it'll work chust fine. I also suspect that, placed alongside a Yorkie-coupled joint on the same pipe and subjected to the 'extremes' mentioned above, that the 'clip' will blow first. (And the Yorkie not at all...)

The reason I say this is that, with a normal Yorkie, the solder has to be pulled apart by a shearing force as the fitting tries to blow - slide - off the pipe. Solder is not particularly strong stuff and it's also very malleable, but over such a large soldered area as you find in a Yorkie which also surrounds the whole pipe and joint (so no obvious 'weak point') it is still immensely strong; you would really really struggle to pull a Yorkie joint apart! An increase in pressure is just as likely to slightly expand the pipe so it fits more tightly inside the Yorkie as it is to blow the fitting off - the solder join remains secure and is not being 'pulled' apart.

Your 'clip-on' design seems to rely purely on the solder to hold it in place like an adhesive. The pressure acts in a completely different way - the adhering solder is under tension rather than a shearing force. The water pressure is not trying to 'slide' off the joint, but instead is 'prising' it off, as if a screwdriver blade were placed under an edge and turned...

And the only thing holding the cap in place is the solder - the cap doesn't go all the way around the pipe.

I'm sure, fitted correctly, it will work just fine and last the life of the rest of the system. But I'm also pretty sure it isn't as strong and reliable as a Yorkie coupling, and that leaves me a little nervous.

Hence - has it been 'tested'?

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  6. Welshdragon1

DA

You hit the nail on the head (so to speak), plus added the extra I couldn't think of, in respect accredited testing etc.

A good example btw :)

As for the temp range, that unfortunately did not enter my numb skull tbh

7. bradley burkert

Right am sorry if I have not explained myself properly click fix was sent by KME to be tested under all the extreame testing environments as all of their other products, also once click fix is put on to the pipe you will find it very difficult to remove it, you can how ever move it up and down the pipe but you caby put pull it back off unless you use some thing to pry it off and this is before solder comes into it, the gap in the click fix is Cut to the exact measurement so that it clips on and grips the pipe, because copper is a flexible metal if it is cut to perfection the solder chanel covers the whole of the clip and has extra solder in it so it over compensates it's fix, also the statement you copied and pasted from my web site talks about my trying to get some one to back me financially to pay for manufacturing and patent fees as am was an new business I hope you find this information helpful, a

8. Welshdragon1

To what extreme testing did this product have altogether

IE: -1degree - ??degree

How much pressure can it withstand, you said IIRC 9+ bar, what was the maximum 10 bar / 11 bar / ?? bar ??

What standard does this product conform British Standard or other ??

I know if I was approached to back a product, financially or other wise, I would be asking a lot more questions than I already have on here about the product, aswell as your business, therefore, SF members are obviously not the only ones as you stated, that have questioned your product in a negative way.

Although we are trying to understand your product in a constructive way, before attempting to deploy it on unsuspecting clients, since there are already tried & tested methods that have been here longer than I have.

What kind of guarantee do you give on your product ??

I think you may need to research 'Dragon's Den' as they won't blindly give money without knowing the in's & outs of a product / business etc

9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Like I said earlier, Ive been in the trade for getting on for 40 years now, I can probably count the number of nailed / screwed pipes i've had to repair on one hand. Its not a common occurrence, yes it happens but rarely. To buy and carry a part that is single purpose and rarely used is probably not going to happen. There are multiple types of DIY temporary pipe clamps on the market which will allow a householder to do the quick fix should the worst happen. As I said before I would sooner cut out the damaged section and replace it with new. The problem you have with this Bradley is its a trade item only not really suitable for the average DIYer unless he has flux and a blow lamp and most plumbers are pretty stuck in their way of doing things. Its a good idea just not the best option IMHO

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I'm sure it will do the job, but unfortunately it's (with the best will in the world) a patch, and given the choice not that many people would go for a patch as opposed to what they would see as a made for the job joint.

Now if you could find a way for it to work as a DIY patch, them I'm sure you may well be onto a winner. As Dave correctly said not many DIY'ers have the tools to use it. I'm not a plumber but I have a spanners and a pipe cutter, so could DIY it with a compression fitting. I'm not going to pay some overpriced plumber (only joking guys) to come and solder on a patch.

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

PS, I commented on that I doubt if you could fit them back to back on a through hole, you said it worked, but not easy. I'd be really interested to see an image of them fitted back to back on a demo pipe.

I don't see how they could possibly clip on and in your words "also once click fix is put on to the pipe you will find it very difficult to remove it, you can how ever move it up and down the pipe but you caby put pull it back off unless you use some thing to pry it of" if it does not go beyond half the pipe diameter, in which case how do you fit the other side?

12. Welshdragon1

This product that does the same job, shows it being pressure tested, how do the One click compare ??

13. Craig, it does go beyond half of the pipe - hence it clips tightly into place.

So I guess that does mean you cannot also fit one to the back of the pipe - say if a nail goes right through (even more rare...).

14. Welsh - that's meant as a temp fix, I believe.

I think.

15. Welshdragon1

DA

Yes I know but trying to get a full picture of how much pressure the one click can actually handle,

Which brings me onto another Q..

This one click works on Nailed / Screwed pipes, how does it fair off on Vertical / Horizontal splits as shown in the above video ??

16. bradley burkert

Hi guys it works on nail, split, burst, pinholing, just as long as the clip covers the hole, click fix is not used for repairing a pipe if it is Right through the pipe, but it depends on the entrance and exit holes and where they are positioned.

17. Welshdragon1

Bradley can you please answer the questions that have not been answered to date...........????

18. bradley burkert

I have answered every question you have asked me, what is it you would now like to know.

19. bradley burkert

Click fix is not going suit everyone, so my only advice is to carry on doing what you do and we will carry on selling click fix thank you for your time and your questions that I feel I have answered to the best of my ability.

20. Welshdragon1

Sorry but you have not answered all the questions

IE:

What standards do the clickfix conform to, IE: British/ European Standards or other

What is the minimum & maximum temperatures that clickfix can withstand

What is the maximum pressure that clickfix can withstand

What / how much guarantee do you give with clickfix

Please provide the figures that has been asked for on several posts (I had even gien you some example answers)

It as you state, that it is your product, then you should already know the answers

If you are not willing to provide the answers to a potential client, then you are not going to get the business (Are you) ??