Replacement window & Sill

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by oops, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

that would make sense as there is a bond between both sides. Though i'm 100% sure thats how it was laid. Wall still standing i'll have to look in my text book in morning.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

HA - correct, DPC is laid as you dedcribe.

3. oops

oops Member

Thanks guys appreciate your help & time.

4. Unless you want/need to replace the concrete sill you could order nes window with small stub sill to ensure wate flows away from window.

Re BC, yes they should be notified, I have replaced no of windows always going down BC route as I dont do enought to justify FENSA membeship.

BC in my area charge £84, this can cover any number of windows on one project (one window or whole house).

If this was my own home and reaplcing just the one window I wouldn't bother with BC.

5. sure there is something wrong with my keyboard !!

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just so the OP can make an informed decision, I have recently had a quote to install windows, and a window of that size is likely to incur a fitting charge of £100 +VAT and the concrete sill would be exra. Thats if they dont try and pressurise them into having the whole house done.

7. oops

oops Member

Thanks again for all your guidance & support. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

8. JG, you are indeed quite right and looking at the size of the window you could probably  buy replacement for less than £100 and have it replaced in yourself in couple of hours (assuming you have reasonable DIY skills or above).

oops, best of luck however you decided to do it.

9. oops

oops Member

Hi all,

Not putting these pictures up to say it is 100%, just wanted to say thanks, & it wouldnt have happened without your advice.  Thanks all who contributed.

All went well apart from the beads which were a complete pig (hence it was getting dark for the last picture).  I think that was my girly soft hand strength as I push a pen for a living

£130 for window + £30 for cill.

Thanks again OOPS.
    [​IMG]

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Oops thats a very neat and tidy job if I must say, it looks nice with the reconstituted stone cill. An installer wouldn't have done any better.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not being funny, or maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't see any drain caps or other means of drainage!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the window appears to have been installed without it's cill board

[​IMG]

13. Mr. Handyandy

He has a concrete sill!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

groan ............

have a look at this detail dwg, it's shows the position - it's often called a stub cill as it's projection is less than normal

[​IMG]

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

here's another details showing a longer cill projection, over a stone/conc cill

[​IMG]

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think you shot yourself in the foot with this drawing and the second one doesn't help

17. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

not at all, it just illustrates the position of the stub cill, which appears to be missing from the installation pictured by the OP, in relation to a stone/conc cill

the top image in the second detail can be ignored as it just shows retro fitted EWI

18. Mr. Handyandy

I'll come straight to the point. * SZean. You're a * (Moderators/abuse whatever, it's deserved)

No amount of any drawings will convince me that 2 sills are ever needed.

The whole point of a sill is that it acts as a SILL.

You DO NOT NEED a sill to go on top of a sill.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Message was edited by: Screwfix Peter due to abusive comments

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

fair enough, if those illustrations, produced by architects and folks who detail installations, aren't going to convince you - have a read of the FENSA guidance notes Mr H

dependant on how far back that window has been sat on the conc cill, any water passing the seals will either well up within the frame and come through internally, or will drip into the cavity - just a few words from the FENSA guide

''Any method of frame drainage should be specified to ensure that drainage water is effectively
    shed from the window and does not come into contact with parts of the fabric of the building
    that are not designed for that purpose''

as you correctly pointed out there are no vents on that window, and it appears to be fully sealed below the frame, so it SHOULD be sat on a stub cill to allow drainage from within the frame, to be vented and directed out onto the conc cill

there's no need for abuse

here's an image showing the stub cill below the frame, slightly extending over the conc cill

[​IMG]

20. Mr. Handyandy

Yes there is. There is absolutely no need to have a upvc sill to help shed water from drain holes.

If you look at bottom drain holes you will see that they are placed right at the front bottom of the frame. The concrete sill will be sloped there and if the holes are present and surrounding areas are sealed, then the water will run on to the concrete sill and away.

That is how a sill is designed.

Architects my foot.

The only time you might need a sill on top of another sill, is if the bottom sill is not sloped, and in that case the above sill would need to be deep enough to overlap the edge of the under sill.

And sills are not flat/level, so ridiculous scenario anyway.

In a case where the slope of the sill(concrete one) is not reached to allow bottom vents, then front vents should be used, and the front bottom of the window to sill should be sealed.

Using 2 sills is pointless, and any architect that thinks it is proper, is a fool.

Note:
    "shed from the window and does not come into contact with parts of the fabric of the building
    that are not designed for that purpose''

Designed for that purpose is provided a concrete sill !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiot. Get your head out those books and websites, and use some common sense.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really