Roof tiles removed without permission

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Edwardz, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

I recall you mentioning the chimney stack was reduced. We're all pitching in with thoughts on how the roof looks at present but whats been done with the chimney? It just looks as though the brickwork has been taken down and nothing done regards capping the flues off at all. Or is that something that the roofing contractor hasn't sorted yet?
    A photograph taken square on with the centre line of the properties would give a much better idea of whether the roof gutter is in the right place

2. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

Another angle.

Attached Files:

3. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Ah! You read my thoughts Edwardz. That line definately looks to in the wrong place! There are five bricks between your window and the nieghbours, so the centre should be 2.5 bricks. The facia board on your side is on the centre line so my reading of it is, that your nneighbours new roof doesn't come across towards your property by the width of one of you old tiles. Or am I wrong?

4. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Astramax first brought that up in post ten, I backed him up in post eleven and a few more posts after that, nobody seems to be taking any notice of the obvious that has been pointed out.

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Actually, I commented in post #5

arrow likes this.
  6. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

I thought the same and said as much earlier but others I thought more likely to be more knowledgable thought it was the angle of the dangle putting things out of prespective.

7. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Apologies did not click on till astra mentioned it.

8. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

I did put these thoughts to the boss when he came out to inspect our complaints and he said the centre line is in the correct place but can't remember why he said it was correct. I can see why you think it isn't.

9. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

It is 100% in the wrong place and you are going to have extreme problems with the rainwater gutter.

Sparkielev likes this.
  10. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

Can someone please explain why you think there will be problems with the guttering to help me understand better.

Is it my gutter on the left that is the problem? It has been altered during this work but unfortunately I don't have a photo of what it was like before to prove it.

I don't know if my guttering has always been a problem. It was put up 8 years ago.

11. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

If he told you it's right he's trying to avoid putting right what his "ROOFER's" have clearly got wrong. Draw a line down from the centre of the chimney stack to midway between the bedroom windows. Thats were your property ends and where your neighbours starts. You can also see that is exactly where your facia board stops. You only need a handful a tiles decent used tiles really and your neighbour needs more once the roof gutter is moved to the right position.

12. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Bear in mind I'm not a roofer/builder just an old DIYer,
    Your gutter just to the right of the down pipe is angled down. Even if there what's called a stop end is on there (I can't see if one is there or not) that piece will cause water will to flow downhill and overflow towards your neighbours.
    Not sure what that edging is called that now seperates the new and old roof but that has to be in the wrong place.

13. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

I think I need another roofer or 2 to come and have a look.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Pretty obvious now....the boundary fence is in the wrong place! :confused:

arrow likes this.
  15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Oh no you didn't?

arrow likes this.
  16. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Try and get a recommendation(s) from someone you know Edwardz or try one of the better known roofing companies that are local to you.

17. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Get in the skip and get your tiles that have survived, tell them you want them back on the roof, with the line central you won't need as many, when the skip goes you got an orange bit on the roof forever.

If next doors downpipe is on the other side check that their gutter has enough of a run on it, if they have lowered the left side that's where the water is going to go, onto you, check yours has the end capped.

18. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

I have sent photos to the roofer who installed my guttering and he agrees about the central line and other things you have all mentioned. Thank you so much for your thoughts when I have been completely clueless, they have really helped.

19. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

Also, the fence probably is too far to the right but next door installed that themselves, essentially making their own garden smaller.

20. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

The hipped roof will have complete perimeter guttering.
    The replacement work has caused two different level gutters.
    The tiler chose to off centre the join, rather than reconfigure the guttering & down pipe.
    The other downpipe will probably come off the lower gutter with your gutter running over it.

Moving the join will mean the following (applies to any other similar situation)

The lower gutter needs extending as far as the new join with a stop end.
    Your gutter needs cutting back the same length with a stop end.
    A hopper needs to be connected to the top of the downpipe, at window top height, fixed to brickwork.
    Both gutters need a running outlet with a swan neck running into the hopper.

The majority of the matching plain tiles will need to be 'tile & a halves' as the join will be that much closer to the existing tiles.