Roof tiles removed without permission

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Edwardz, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

The front of the house.

Attached Files:

2. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

Where's the other downpipe you mentioned ?
    The chimney lead is missing.
    The joint tiling your side is amateurish & the colours are wrong.
    If you have been left with one downpipe at the back, the water is travelling at least twice the distance as before: all dependant on falls, and if your gutter falls in the wrong direction you will get spillover at the front.
    Claim against your neighbours insurance after checking the procedure with your own insurance,

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Mark's Dad likes this.
  3. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

So you agreed to the chimney height reduction work. You didn't agree to any other work affecting your roof? I'm also wondering if the Party Wall Act is relevant here.

As it is your neighbour's job and only they are likely to have a contract with the roofer, I would probably expect the neighbour to get it sorted to your satisfaction. As BuildingMad said, I'd get advice from my insurer. If you have legal cover, that could help get you sorted without the need for you to get bogged down in arguments with the roofers. Your insurance won't be happy that your roof has been compromised without your consent and they'll want it rectified to avoid any future claim.

Importantly, make sure your neighbours know that this isn't personal and maintain good relations.

Mark's Dad likes this.
  4. DCB99

DCB99 New Member

Can I suggest a quick look on google earth to get an aerial view of the roof, very likely to be older than the work done. Might provide useful evidence.

BuildingMad and Mark's Dad like this.
  5. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Now that's a good idea DCB99!

6. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

You may wish to inform your neighbours their bottom course appears unsupported, is sagging & probably held in place by the weight of the tiles above them.
    This would contribute towards having to lower the gutter.

The more you photograph the worse it gets.
    A building inspector would have a field day; as would a mortgage surveyor.

You are getting advice in this thread to help get over poor workmanship, but it all feels like a bodge to sort out out a bodge.

At the least the neighbours tiles need realigning at eaves to the same height as yours to have a continuous gutter. That could mean realigning the rest.
    You should push to have the original plain tiles reinstated & back to normality with a roof that looks aesthetically as it was originally intended.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Mark's Dad likes this.
  7. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

The reason is the facia board is too low. If they have fitted a new facia that is the problem, along with on the back at least the first batten too far forward.

8. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

There was no central line originally, we both had the same roof tiles.

No sign of roofers today but skip has been emptied.

The boss has text to say he's sent pictures of some tiles he's found to the roofer because he himself is apparently in hospital...

Big sigh

9. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

Today

Attached Files:

10. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Hi Edwardz,

That looks like a somewhat positive developement! Hope they put it as should have been done now.
    Fingers croosed for you.

11. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

It is not a positive development, the tiles might look better, but the bonding gutter has not been moved and is still in the same place. Until the bonding gutter is moved and the rainwater guttering is sorted it will never be right.

BuildingMad likes this.
  12. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Not clear if the roofer is taking tiles off to move the bonding gutter or putting them on! If it's as you say arrow then I can see the problems continue.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Was unaware that ISIS did roofing work!

arrow likes this.
  14. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

Not sure about his toe boards and use of ladder either.

15. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

The boss is asking for an email address so he can email me a list of work he has done to my house and he wants me to approve it. Obviously I'm not going to. Seems to have forgotten about repairing my wall.

He has been to inspect the work to sign it off and is getting someone to put an end cap on my guttering next week. The scaffolding should then come down.

I asked him about the guttering as the houses round here have a down pipe on the side of the house nearest the front door and share a downpipe at the rear. As they changed my neighbours guttering they are no longer connected to the downpipe attached to my side near the boundary fence. He said he has noticed that (only today) and is going to sort out a hopper on the waste pipes coming out of their bathroom and connect up to the guttering. I said that surely if you are emptying your bath during heavy rain it will spill over. He said it won't affect me so not to worry!!

Citizens advice have said to get quotes to pursue a claim for negligence, loss and damages but I think it's unlikely they would pay out as insisting the work is good.

They are saying the central line is fine because my chimney isn't in the middle.

I have a roofer (one I've used before) coming out to look at it. I'm hoping for reassurance that it's at least water tight even if a mess and will no doubt despair at the cost to fix it.

16. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Not legitimate to make a new rainwater connection to the sewers. Ask why he thinks he can do that.

17. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

It sounds like your neighbours contractor isn't the honourable man that someone earlier suggested he might be. He's the sort that gives the roofing trade a bad name/reputation.
    You could seek legal redress against him. If it comes to having to take legal action you can take a claim out against him through the county courts for upto £10k, fees range from £35 - £80. You don't need a solicitor as you can represent yourself.
    Did it once many years ago (Small Claims Court back then) over a motor accident which the other party disputed being at fault. His insurers paid up in full a couple of weeks before the hearing was due.
    I'm sure that you don't want that hassle.

18. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

The boss is at least trying, and honest about wanting to get it fixed, if it had been the clowns that he employs on their own you would never see them again, I reckon tell him what you want and get as much of it fixed as possible before falling out with anyone, I think you might over the gutter.

19. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

You can see on the left they have linked the guttering to the bathroom hopper on next doors house, the flat roof to the right of it is the brick outhouse.

Attached Files:

20. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

They have taken down the guttering they installed and put fascias up then put it back.

Attached Files: