Roof tiles removed without permission

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Edwardz, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Seems like they're doing just as they like! Not good.

2. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Wonder what your trusted roofer will say when he turns up about the standard of work on show?

3. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Bonding gutter has still not been moved and in wrong place.
    You are going to have problems with rain water gutter, it is a bodge and you will have water dripping.
    Massive spaces between/under tiles

Mark's Dad likes this.
  4. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

Apart from the strange depth UPVC cover fascia, R/W into foul, chimney flashing etc. etc. on neighbours side.

Don't accept on your side.

1) Off centre join.
    2) Tile gaps.
    3) Half size tiles on front & back joins. You can see a few 1 & 1/2 width tiles. They should be on every other course.
    4) Gutter joint.
    5) Non standard chimney flashing, whatever that is.
    6) Gap between fascia's.
    7) Odd colour tiles on front.
    8) Missing chimney capping.
    9) Out of level gutters at joint.
    10) Ridge line finish.

Likely there are other problems we can't see

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Pocah and Mark's Dad like this.
  5. Chippie mac chipface

Chippie mac chipface Active Member

Employ a RICS surveyor to write a report on it a give an indication of cost to put it right.

Send a leter to your neighbour "signed for" (do not put it through his letter box) asking him for the money to put it right once you have had a quote from a roofer (RICS holds so much more clout detailing the problems compared with Dave the roofer but you need a quote from Dave to the RICS spec). Give him 14 days to reply, if he does not give him 14 days notice of County Court.

Send copies of both letters to yourself, once recieved do not open them. If your neighbour later says that your letters did not state what you say they did you can give a judge the sealed letters that you sent to yourself to open with the date stamp on them. Of course if you have his email send him a copy of the letters as well.

Mark's Dad likes this.
  6. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

7. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

The image from Google taken within the last year doesn't have the gaps bottom left that I have today. Not sure how that has occurred.

8. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

Current front of house.

Attached Files:

9. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Hi again,

You should save that Google image as it shows how the roof was before it was spoilt by your neighbours so called "roofer". Such a marked difference for anybody to see how the recent work has left your property looking. Would help if you end up taking County Court action.
    Been thinking about the differring levels either side of that divider. The grey tiles look thicker and no doubt heavier so thinking the roofer has used the thicker battens available for the new roof which has lead to the neighbours side being higher than yours. I'm not in the trade so don't know if the grey concrete tiles need more sturdy battens, even so the roofer should have spoke to you before hand and advsied you on that or made adjustment of the new roof to ensure less of a mismatch.
    Did your trusted roofer pay a visit over the weekend?

10. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Oh right! Just viewed the last image in close up. I see the gaps you've mentioned now, they've done that to take the eye away from the join area and moved the gaps further to the right!
    That's so b****y shoddy and you won't have agreed to that.
    You're best taking this to court now, he's no intention of making this right for you!!

11. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

The evidence I've acquired is shocking. Need to show the neighbours first. The tiles on both sides are just going to drop out.

12. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

Bloody hell that chimney flashing looks it's made from an old welly!

13. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

14. HarryL1234

HarryL1234 Screwfix Select

15. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Those last two photo's speak volume's for these guys total lack of any wormanship. Looks like the handy work of a 6 yr old, doubt that capping of the chimney would last through a winter before the wind has them off. Suely the flues should have had a cowl of some description fitted on each one a allow the them to breathe, keep the elements and birds out.
    I'd be ashamed to have left the stack in the state.
    Hope your neighbours see this in the same light as you and everyone here does.

16. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

Good gravy what a disgraceful mess. I hope neither of you has a boiler or gas fire flue vented via that stack!

17. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

HarryL1234 likes this.
  18. Pocah

Pocah New Member

I think there are a lot of dodgy roofers around at the moment. There is money in replacing stuff that doesn't need replacing, and it's leading to some horrible jobs.

19. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The work is dire but at least they have the jointing gutter in the right place, so can that red herring now be laid to rest.

I think a lot of roofers must rue the invention of the drone.

HarryL1234 likes this.
  20. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

There have always been dodgy roofers! I can can go back many years (unfortunately) and "roofer" was a dirty word then because of the cowboys/criminals that masqueraded as genuine tradesmen. My uncle was a professional roofer, in fact all my uncles were involved different aspects of the bulding trade and time served too. Such a pity for the genuine tradesmen out
    there who know what they're doing and pride in leaving a job well done.