Socket for tumble Dryer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scouse30, Apr 24, 2024.

1. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

@WH55

it is very common for buy to let landlords to rent out homes, particularly rooms in licensed Homes in Multiple Occupation (HMOs), with less than adequate numbers of socket outlets resulting in extension leads being run around rooms with multiple trailing sockets.

All these homes require satisfactory EICRs and there are additional licensing requirements for the HMOs. The local council will instruct the landlords to install additional permanent socket outlets, the extension leads are unacceptable in rented homes particularly HMOs.

WH55 likes this.
  2. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I can recall 2 instances where extension reels melted due to not being fully unwound.
    1 was being used by my Mum for her twin tub, and the other was in a shop next to Temple Station, which was being used to power 2 fridges

3. The Happy Builder

I did it myself when I was a teenager, I was working in the garage with a fan heater plugged into a partially rolled up extension lead, I have never done it again, once was enough.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If its the same one you mean built into the station I would wonder how they got two fridges in there

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

On the right as you look at the station, I think it was a cafe.

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea I think you're right. I was thinking of the kiosk to the left. It's about big enough for one person to stand in.

7. The Happy Builder

The fourth page of discussion about a DIYer making an unsuitable extension lead, to use for an unsuitable purpose, supplied from an unsuitable socket out.

When what is really required is a new permanent socket outlet supplied from an improved electrical installation.

It's a job for an electrician to sort out.

8. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

What have I started. Thanks for your help, I'll install a fused spur off the double socket in the living room then which has 2 cables 1 in and 1 out.

9. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

Why? You don’t need a fused spur for one socket. The tumble dryer plug will have a fuse anyway.

Scouse30 likes this.
  10. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have re-read, where does @Scouse30 say he was going to use a rolled up extension lead? Why does he need a plug in RCD when it is already RCD protected? I was always told not more than one wire per terminal but I see with domestic common to used three, but over three one is asking for one not to be gripped fully, so I would not put any more than three wires in a terminal. As to twin and earth in a plug, not ideal, but no reg to stop it, as long as the cable grip will allow it. Yes a plug is really for flex, but if only unplugged for maintenance can't see the problem, it gets around registering the work under Part P rules for work done in a kitchen in Wales.

And we still have no idea of load, shown here upload_2024-4-26_16-31-7.png the load taken by my tumble dryer running as I write, 674 watt is not really enough to worry about.

11. The Happy Builder

The RCD protection is inadequate and needs upgrading in the consumer unit if it is the same circuit.

Ind spark likes this.
  12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I agree with @The Happy Builder

The picture of the CU shows a 100mA RCD on the incomer, and no 30mA RCD protection for the kitchen sockets circuit.

13. The Happy Builder

Because it is quite possibly a TT earthed installation with a 100 amp 100 mA Type AC RCD and the kitchen socket circuit does not have 30 mA RCD protection, and the original poster knows this, so is using a 30 mA RCD plug RCD for the outdoor supply.

Being polite, the whole installation is a pile of tat, if it's all like what can be seen in the photos.

14. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

If he doesn’t know whether or not it’s potentially a spur off a spur, then an FCU is perhaps the safest option, irrespective of whether it’s technically essential or otherwise.

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I don't think we were ever able to establish where he wanted to put the socket and where he wanted to take a feed from. Best guess is that socket in the cupboard is a spur most likely from the kitchen cct but as to if it's a ring or radial who knows. In other words, not enough information given.

It's weird the CU says "all sockets" on a RCBO and "kitchen sockets" on a plain breaker and "attic sockets" back on a RCBO. If the socket in the cupboard is on a 32a radial why is it wired in 2.5mm? Cable should also be secured going into the socket.

16. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

If it is a spur off a spur it should not be done at all. An FCU will not make a wrong right.

17. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

It's not a ring circuit is a radial, so it's the end socket.

18. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

It is completely wrong then. You should not have a radial wired in 2.5 on a 32 amp mcb. If that is the case that it is a radial you need to swap the rcbo or mcb for a 16 or 20 amp rcbo.

Ind spark likes this.
  19. The Happy Builder

You may have 2.5mm spurs on a 4.0mm radial protected by a 32 amp MCB, but I really doubt this is what has been done here.

All I am seeing and hearing about is a tatty substandard electrical installation that needs an electrician to tidy it up, and install additional sockets for the tumble dryer and outdoor sockets.

20. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

Cowboy electrician probably did the electrics in the house.