Socket for tumble Dryer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scouse30, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

What do you mean by RCBO and MCB?

2. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

OK what size cable should I use for a spur off a radial socket? Thanks

3. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

You need an electrician.

4. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Where did I say that?

5. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

What size cable should I use?

6. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

It is completely wrong then. You should not have a radial wired in 2.5 on a 32 amp mcb. If that is the case that it is a radial you need to swap the rcbo or mcb for a 16 or 20 amp rcbo.

7. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

It's finding one, that will do the work in a old house. I have had 3 come out to install a light none came back.

8. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

You need to go to specsavers, where did I actually say that.

9. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

A RCBO is a MCB with built in RCD protection.

In this installation the is a 100mA RCD main switch protecting the entire installation, then next to it there are the circuit protective devices, commonly known as breakers, those with a test button are RCBOs which are combined 30 mA RCDs and MCBs, those without a test button are MCBs without the additional 30 mA RCD protection, they all provide overload and fault current protection.

So all the breakers without a test button are MCBs and need to be replace with MCBs, unless there is a 30 mA RCD protecting some on the right hand side of the consumer unit.

Post a picture showing all the breakers in the consumer unit, maybe then someone can advise you better.

10. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

Hi Here are the photos of the breakers. Thanks for your explanation.

Attached Files:

11. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

So reading up about radial circuits and the correct breakers. There should be 16 amp breakers for the sockets is that correct?
    Quote from DIY Doctor "16amp MCB is used as the items to be used in the garage-come-office are going to be relatively low powered e.g. a TV, some computer monitors, laptop"

I am going to get an electrician in to check the MCB and wiring.

12. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

This was explained in post number 86.

13. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

That is a bit rude

14. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

You keep misquoting what I actually said when trying to help you and give you advice. Try and read my post correctly that you keep quoting wrongly.