Socket removal

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by alteredpanic, Aug 25, 2015.

1. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

Hello again,

So, at the stage now where I am about ready to replace all the skirting boards (cheers again for everyones advice surrounding that), ive chased up new back boxes for the Ethernet connections and extended a few 1G boxes for 2g ones whilst I had the grinder out and making far too much mess with brick dust. (Fantastic fun that way btw - my new favourite tool)

There is a one 1g socket which is going to be right in the way. It is squeezed inbetween the architrave of an airing cupboard and a room. This is going to be in the way for a couple of reasons (new achitrave wont fit, its ugly, new nickel faceplates wouldnt fit either etc) , but ultimately, I want it gone. It has two lives, neutrals and earths coming into it.

What is the best way to permanently, and safely to remove this? I appreciate I could just slap some connectors on it and effectively extend the wires, but is this the correct way, and safe way to do this. I assume gold standard would be put in a fresh set of wire from the previous socket and run it all the way through to the next socket in the series. The floorboards are coming up anway.

Whats best - extending blocks (suggestions as to which ones are best please if appropriate) as refered to in here (http://community.screwfix.com/threads/extending-wiring-behind-plug-socket.165825/) or a new length of cable. Would blocks work just fine?

IMAG3115.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Spark would usually run in new cable, especially if access is good. A JB would be fine though if fitted properly. The skt is basically acting like a JB anyway when you think about it!

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If u run a new cable it will need to be in the permited zones and 50mm from top and bottom of joist with 30ma rcd protection

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I see that no-one has mentioned that if the cable is joined in a junction box, it should remain accessible. Seems to me, the intention would be to put under the floorboards!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

True Handy. Op mentioned pulling floor boards up so presumed he'd pull tails back into floor void.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Wouldn't wagos in a box be ok?

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Would prefer to see some nice biscuits in a box Chippy. Could be wago wheels perhaps?! :D

9. "I assume gold standard would be put in a fresh set of wire from the previous socket and run it all the way through to the next socket in the series. The floorboards are coming up anway."
    If you have the opportunity to do that then that is the way to go, no argument. Jointing cables under the floor, even if mf joints are used, is definitely second best.

10. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

Thanks guys for the reply - as I am wanting to replace the skirting boards and architraves in the next week or so, I decided to temporarily use the above mentioned junction box as I wanted to free the wall of the socket so firstly I could cover the hole up in it, and secondly to prepare it for the new architraves and skirting boards. When I pull the floor boards up, I will run a new cable from the previous socket to the following socket in the circuit. This way, it is safely out of the way until I get round to doing that - floorboards have to be up in the next two weeks or so as carpet fitters are coming in mid sept.

Anyway, let me know if this is done correctly - I installed it within the back of the airing cupboard - I already thought about it being accessible, my reasoning mainly was in case I did it wrong. The earth wire was unsheathed so I put some G/Y sleeving over it. (See, I am learning from you guys)

IMAG3144.jpg

One thing I am curious about is the vent on the side of the junction box. Is that for cooling or something? Should that be open or closed?

IMAG3150.jpg

Guys, thanks for your help on this one - unless someone points out something wrong I have done, thats job done. A few more silly questions to ask, but thats all in another post.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looks ok to me. A pedantic might say that the wires should be pushed in further so that no bare wire is showing, but hey ho!
    What I do notice is that you have old cable and new cable. A leccy might come along here and advise you why that might be. I won't, I'm not a leccy.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

alteredpanic likes this.
  12. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

Ok, another question or concern really - forgot to take a picture of it, but when I pulled a 1G socket away from the wall in the hallway earlier, there were three sets of live, earth and neutral wires (2 spurs??) off one socket. This sounds a bit extreme to me - is this right or has someone cowboyed this? This is the only socket in the house like this, the rest just have two sets of wires, not three.

I am also considering afterwards getting the electronics all checked out anyway and certified to ensure that they are in line with Part P regs.

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

3 wires will generally indicate that a spur has been fitted to the ring from that particular socket. Where is the nearest socket to that one? Have a look to see if there is just one set of cables run to it. It doesn't mean its 'bodged'.

You could also buy a plug top skt tester to double check your sockets afterwards. They're not expensive and would prob be a good investment for yourself for a bit of extra peace of mind.

As long as you are confident with old and new harmonised color scheme, go steady and make sure terminal screws are tight and cable is run sensibly through joists, then you will be fine. You are in effect only pretty much replacing 'like for like' and not doing any drastic changes to circuits.