Spraying furniture

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Nov 13, 2015.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hello all,

I have some furniture I want to 'upcycle' (that is the latest term for doing up, I believe). I asked about what primer/undercoat to use here; http://community.screwfix.com/threa...-furniture-zinsser-cover-stain-primer.171230/

I have always painted with a brush or more often a roller over larger areas and acheive pretty good results. I was wondering about a HVLP sprayer to improve the quality of the finish. I see that Screwfix sell two low cost types, they both get great reviews for spraying fences, sheds etc, I don't think that is comparable to what I want, for my fence I used a cheap garden sprayer for Creocote; about 10 mins a panel or less time - fast, easy and got into the nooks and crannies.

There were no reviews for matt or gloss painting that I want to do. I've seen some very impressive Youtube videos, but these all use expensive equipment operated by experienced sprayers. My jobs don't warrent an expensive sprayer and my only experience is with aerosol cans.

How good are these sprayers for what I am tinking of doing?

Thannks for your advice (yet again - I've had great help on this forum)

Steve

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The only HVLP sprayers that I have seen used that worked were expensive.
    You can buy a compressor for a "normal" spraygun up from £100 up and then a spray gun is £20 upwards depending on the quality of finish needed.
    You may need a water filter as well.

3. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

What is a water filter - in this context?

Any idea how skilled you need to be, as I said I've only used aerosol can over the years.

Thanks, Steve

PS - Movember for you?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A water separator filter will remove any moisture/water from the compress air, for spraying you need dry air.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Apollo spraymaster 1200 great HVLP sprayer, constantly rated,love mine, cost £200, you see them on the bay now & again at a bargain price.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's not bad.
    With a high pressure sprayguns there are variables that need setting up, the viscosity of the paint, the air pressure from the compressor, the volume of air through the gun, the volume of paint through the gun and the velocity and direction of the spreader air, each one affects at least one of the other variables.

7. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I'm 'watching' Apollo spraymaster 1200 on eBay.

Just saw that Aldi are doing compressor with spray gun for well under £100. Hoe good woudl this be for me?

Thanks, Steve

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is that HVLP or HP?

9. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

This is what caught my eye, I presume it is HP.

Thanks for your input Chippie, Steve

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Play with it, the output pressure at the compressor needs to be set to about 3 bar, the paint needs to be fairly runny but not like water more like milk, filter it as any lumps will clog it up, you can buy filters but I just use muslin but I have muslin hanging around and you probably don't.
    Read the instructions.
    I seem to end up spraying about every 2 years and it takes me the first day just to get the ratios right and then it's crack on.
    Keep the gear clean.
    Good luck.

11. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Cheers Chippie, I'll try and pick one up over the weekend. I'll report back on how it goes :)