swearing on Oath,

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by tom.plum, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Deleted..

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's an interview with an academic you were using to try and prove something.
    If the only book you believe is one written a long time ago, by writers who weren't there, about things they hadn't seen and used by politicians, and I include religious leaders in this, to suppress the masses the you are an utter idiot.
    Good night.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Most of the Bible was written hundreds of years after the supposed events, this was in order to control and empower the masses.

Jesus himself was a evangelist of the highest order and took advantage of people who didn't know better.

5. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Why did you delete your post ??

6. Phil the Paver

He didn't, God did. :D

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  7. Since Ry is now relying on Professor Cox to help his cause, I'll quote three words from the guy directly; The Creationist belief that the world is 6,000 years old is dismissed as “b-----ks”, anyone who believes the world is going to end next year because of the Mayan calendar is “a moron”. And people who believe Cern’s Large Hadron Collider will suck the universe into a black hole are “t--ts”.

I wonder what he'd say about people who believe in 'thorns in eyelids'?

Keep the answers clean, folks.

8. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Coming back to Tom's original post maybe atheists should swear by " the Almighty Hadron Collider" .
    I got an almighty hadron just reading about it!:):):)

Phil the Paver likes this.
  9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Posts like this remind me of the story about W C Fields the actor / comedian. He had gambled, smoked, drunk heavily, done drugs, had numerous affairs with women, used foul language and was a life long Atheist.
    When a friend visited him shortly before his death he found him sitting up in bed reading the Bible, when his friend asked him what he was doing, his reply was. "I'm looking for a loophole my boy, looking for a loophole!":p:p:p

10. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

God. A man made invention to give idiots something to blame when the excrement hits the round whirly thing...

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  11. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.
    ( Albert Einstein - The Merging of Spirit and Science)

Very eloquent words from the great Albert Einstein.
    And a bunch of hairy * builders on a diy forum think they know more.

Edited due to unsuitable language

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
  12. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I think this is the wrong forum to hold a serious religious discussion.
    But do you think Einstein was a Deist ;-
    "The belief that God has created the universe but remains apart from it and permits his creation to administer itself through natural laws. Deism thus rejects the supernatural aspects of religion, such as belief in revelation in the Bible, and stresses the importance of ethical conduct."
    Atheism is in itself a belief system - in that there is no God at all.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's hardly a system, I don't believe there's a monster under the bed either.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  14. Paul from Blackpool, we are not having a serious religious discussion, because Ry is involved.

Anyways, it passes the time, and Ry has managed to get Einstein on his side after all so perhaps he ain't as deluded as we thought.

Wait - he is... :rolleyes:

A neatly-chosen quote from the great man does not make for a monotheist believer. Albert pondered many things, apparently, but never settled on a belief in a divine being, a theistic gawd. Rather he felt that 'gawd' was the whole universe, part of matter, a non-involved being. It has lots of weird names, like Spinoza. Blimey.

So you still have work to do, Ry.

Not that it would have made any difference even if Eistein had believed in the same gawd as you, and even in sticking thorns in his eyes. He's clever, but doesn't know everything, you know...

Anyways, Paul, please don't say things like "Atheism is in itself a belief system..." because that's a lazy, cheap shot which - of course - is completely untrue. It's one reason why I don't particularly want to be called an 'atheist' (even tho' I am one) as it allows the uncritical-of-thinking to try little tricks like wot you have done.

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I thought the statement .." Atheism is in itself a belief system".. was actually a compliment.
    More like atheism is a cop out for lazy barstewards because it justifies not going to Church on Sundays or taking your children to to Sunday school where they can be taught the morals of right and wrong.

advocate obviously hasn't read Einsteins statement posted above or he wouldn't be posting his usual "gawd" nonsense.

16. "Advocate obviously hasn't read Einsteins statement posted above or he wouldn't be posting his usual "gawd" nonsense."

Yes I have and yes I would.

I gave up on church and Sunday School at the age of around 11 when I realised what the cove was saying was complete nonsense. And it bored me out of my skull. I certainly wouldn't subject my own children to that loonacy.

And guess what? They have far better morals than you do :p

17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

What do you mean you gave up at 11? It shouldn't have been your choice at that age.

18. Phil the Paver

There in lies the whole problem, brainwashing at an early age. Not so bad for Christians but look what's happening with young Muslims.

19. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Young muslims are being taught how they've always been taught for centuries. About Mohammed (peace be upon him) and the fine teachings of the Koran.

20. Phil the Paver

The majority are, but there are a few that are being taught the I S way and then go on to cause immense grief and suffering to anybody who happens to be in their sights.