Tenant says water does not last as long since plumber replaced immersion heater

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by TrevofHucknall, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Surely that's not right though, every economy 7 tank has two immersion heaters.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

100l ?

Blimey, my fish tank takes nearly that!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. TrevofHucknall

TrevofHucknall New Member

Can't speak for every tank that is connected to an economy 7 circuit but Horstman make a switch to enable both E7 and day conumer unit connect to the same heater. Thanks for your help though. Trev

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. TrevofHucknall

Hi Andy, Unless you have a 100 Litre fish tank with a 3 Kw heater the formula supplied has baffled me too. Seriously thouigh, I would have thought about 4 hours to heat 100 Litres to 60 deg C from cold. Any way still not solved, but thanks, Trev

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  5. TrevofHucknall

Any way thanks for all the suggetions, some of which were very helpfull. I will be there about 10am today and I will meaure the tank height, the water temp at the taps after 4 hour of heating with a 3 Kw immersion heater, the volume at the temp recorded in the bath, and photograph the tank. Kind Regards, Trev

6. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Sorry, but that equation does not make sense!

So phi = 3

Is this the same as "delta T" in your equation?

If it is, we get:

3= 100 x 4.2 x 50.

Which is obviously incorrect.

Where is Time in the equation???

7. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Correct equation.

T = (V x CP x DeltaT)/(W x 3600), where:

T = time taken (Hours)
    V = volume (litres)
    CP = specific heat of water = 4.2
    DeltaT = temperature rise (10C to 60C = 50C)
    W= Output of immersion element = 3kW
    3600 = seconds in one hour.

So we get:

T =(100 x 4.2 x 50) / (3 x 3600)

T = 21000 / 10800

T = 1.94 hours

This, of course, does assume that the cylinder is perfectly insulated, so there is no heat loss while it is heated up.

Sean_ork likes this.
  8. Jaric Willows

Jaric Willows New Member

Sorry, but I have no experience in heating and ventilation. So, i am unable to help you. Sorry.:(

9. TrevofHucknall

Wow this problem went on a long time. It seem's that it will take slightly longer to heat but if it is heated through the night on the economy 7 low tarrif the water is at the correct temperature throughout the whole tank. The water remains hot during the day as the tank is insulated and only needs a small boost to keep it up to temperature.

After lots of research I did find that there are immersion heaters that are 14 inches long and one's that are 27 inches long but are bent into a double D so that it fits into the side entry. I also found that there are more expensive heaters that are more corrosion resistant and are ideal for for economy 7 use where the immersion heater is the only method of water heating.

10. Roslyn

Roslyn New Member

Hi, I'm joining late on this thread so hope somebody will still be able to help. I am in exactly the same situation (however I'm the tenant) - I am on Economy 10 heating, with immersion heating water tank. Previously I had a small tank with 1 heating element and this wasn't enough. Last Feb we replaced my tank to a larger one, and I asked for one with two elements so I had back up should I need it.

Ever since Nov last year I have had continual problems with the tank (and ongoing hassles with original plumber) - overflowing, constant dripping, not enough hot water at all.

Originally they had told me that they would have to lower the shelf in the cupboard where the tank it because the tank would be that much larger, and they would need to have access to the tank as and when needed.

They didn't do this. When I queried it, they said it was because it would lower the pressure of the hot water (which is bad enough anyway). Fine I thought.

So, the leaking and overflow continued with the plumber coming no less than 3 times. He couldn't reach the ball valve to adjust.

Another plumber then came along and said that in order to get to the tank he'd have to cut an access hole into the wall to get access to the tank.

I also queried the fact that the 'normal' immersion element was in the middle of the tank and not at the bottom (hence I could hear water bubbling/boiling - causing the ball valve arm to bend and cause overflow problem?) - with the back up immersion element at the bottom of the tank.

Now, the immersion element at the bottom (spare one) has stopped working (I unfortunately have had to use it quite regularly as hot water is almost non existent on normal one), and am left with a useless water heating. And a plumber and landlord who seemingly care less.

My consumption: my son has a bath every night - not a lot at all, less than half full. I have a shower every morning (power shower), approx 5-10 mins.

Any advice will be so helpful. Thanks in advance. (Pics attached).

Attached Files:

11. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Dont know about the plumbing Roslyn but that flex needs sorting.

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Hi, I'm not a plumber, but the quote above concerns me, how is the ball valve bending??, it shouldn't be anywhere near hot water.

Also the bottom element is for economy heating and the middle one for boosting.

13. DCUK6

DCUK6 New Member

I'm having the same issue.

Just had a new tank fitted. It's slightly smaller than the old tank but heating times used to be 30mins to get hot water but now 1 1/2 hours.

What your tenants might find is what I'm finding is that because it's not as hot you don't use so much cold water so you empty the tank quicker to get as deep of a bath.