The best way to fit a kitchen sink waste.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by 2520years, May 17, 2008.

1. 2520years

2520years New Member

I may be daft enough to ask for re-assurance on an internet forum, but I'm not daft enough to take any stick seriously...or to do what Hotdog said I shouldn't do. :)

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I just hope its not a ceramic sink that needs the tap hole knocking out!!

Silicon as the others have said and a 50pence coin works well in the screw slot if you don't have a wide screwdriver.

Jason

3. whats 2520 years?

4. cosworth

cosworth New Member

606 b.c.e to 1914 of course!

5. cosworth

cosworth New Member

sorry 607.

6. Herr Trigger

Herr Trigger New Member

I never use silicon on waste set-ups.

After the silicon has set...if it gets moved ever so slightly for any reason. The seal can fail, leaving you to undo it all and clean it all off and do it properly.

You need to seal it with a proper sealant that doesn't go off, nor reacts with the rubber. Ohhh Mrs.

7. Herr Trigger

Herr Trigger New Member

BTW, i aint telling you what i use.

:)

8. Herr Trigger

Herr Trigger New Member

But what i will tell you is, it is reddish in colour.

It is an old trick told to me when i was a whipper snapper.
    Never had a problem since 1983 ;)

9. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

sounds like gasket seal to me! :)

10. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

OK Tone, I'll fall for it.... Stag jointing compound, Red Hermatite, or knowing you, something much more devious !!!

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

KY and blood?

12. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

i never sliicone a waste on, mainly because its not needed, and also because it makes it a tw4t to change at a later date. Its a fact of life that sometimes things need to come apart again.

13. Herr Trigger

Herr Trigger New Member

14. Herr Trigger

Herr Trigger New Member

15. posh chip

posh chip New Member

Maybe I've been lucky since the mid-Eighties, but I've never used anything between waste flange and sink or anything other than the supplied rubber washer between the sink and the waste cup. No silicone, no hermetite, nothing. Never had any comebacks.
    But then I've moved house a lot.

16. Use all washers they provide according to diagram/instructions.

Also use plumbers mait/putty for ceramic and stainless steel sinks from underneath. This stuff never sets but is excellent.

17. montyandruss

montyandruss New Member

2520 Don't be put off by some of the sarcasm you've received on here (though you have to admit some of it was very funny). We've all done a course that was shat at some time or another.
    Everybody learns the best tips from someone else so never be afraid to ask or change your methods if you find a better way.
    Stainless steel sinks and wastes are usually ok with the standard kit seals as they flex slightly when tightened to mate with the seal.
    Porcelain sinks are tricky because they're all slightly out of shape due to the manufacturing process (it shrinks when fired) so pre-assemble it and check what gaps if any you've got and depending on what you see use Fernox, silicone, or plumbers mate between waste and sink. A handbasin will still run out when the plugs in if you don't do this.
    Keep ya chin up. Everyone makes mistakes. Try not to do it twice.

18. kimble

kimble New Member

If I could offer one tip when sealing wastes on sinks (steel) it would be that where the overflow pipe connects to the waste itself put a little sealant (your choice) in the recess that the pipe pushes into as I've found that at least one in three (also including bath wastes)develop a slight leak from this point when the plug is pulled. But i suppose it's also what you get supplied. We use Mcalpines (not our choice) and still getting problems

19. straker

straker New Member

use plumber gold .its amazing .seals just about anything

KIAB likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Brilliant stuff, it seals,plus it's an adhesive, always use a blob when putting outlets on sinks,basins, etc, also when fitting tap to baths,sinks,etc guarentee a 100% water proof seal, cheaper at SF competitors.