Timber Framing a Barn

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by jimdad07, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

I sure will. One more layout video I'm almost done editing and I'm shooting a cutting video starting last night after work.
    I know this one was long but I figure it'll be a reference to somebody trying to figure it out.

2. It is good to hear someone talking in feet and inches, rather than the French system we have had forced on us.
    Imperial measurement is far superior to metric and I hope you hang on to it.

jimdad07 likes this.
  3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep good old feet and inches. Sadly it's not superior to the metric system Deleted member 11267. What could be easier than adding, dividing, subtracting or multiplying tens and units, instead of fractions of an inch, or fractions of 12 inches, fractions of a yard etc, etc, ? Both are accurate, if used correctly, but the metric system is a lot easier. Perhaps after Brexit , you'd like us to revert to £, S, D ?

4. No,but I would like pounds and ounces back,another thing which we did not want taken away from us.
    I can work in metric but much prefer feet and inches.

5. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

It's all in what a person is used to.

6. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Part 2 of the scarf joint layout. I bet you guys have some beautiful old world timber frames over there, I'd love to see it someday.

KIAB and Jord86 like this.
  7. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Part two of the layout:

KIAB likes this.
  8. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

And finally cutting the joint.

KIAB likes this.
  9. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Moving along with the tie beam joinery, cutting the floor joist pockets. I sure am happy this is the last one on this project!

KIAB likes this.
  10. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

The last tie beam tenon...thank God...

KIAB likes this.