Toilet light switch - pull cord or wallplate?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Philde, Feb 6, 2016.

1. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

been on quite a few (im often the one working on the large greasy motor or the one with his legs sticking out of a tiny crawl space hatch)

2. tina lucinda lane

thank you glad to see some one else who understands the rules

3. tina lucinda lane

as for regs here electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/53/section-701/index.cfm

4. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

Yes, they are the Regs but, there is nothing in there that says you can't have a plate switch in a toilet or bathroom. In fact it says you can as long as it is within the guidelines (which seem to be based on a bathroom rather than a toilet).

"Plate switches
    Are 230 V lighting switches (plate switches) permitted in a room containing a bath or shower?

Yes, a plate switch is allowed outside the zones of a bathroom. A switch should be at least 0.6 m from the edge of the bath or shower (outside the zones) and must be suitable for the location. The cords of cord-operated switches are allowed in zones 1 and 2 and are recommended for bathrooms and shower rooms to account for the humidity and condensation that could occur."

5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

What a load of wimin!!

Plate switch my choice for a cloakroom as I hate pull cords as they ALWAYS break and no need for it in a WC, its only for locations containing a bath or shower. .

Whoever the clown stating "To comply fully with the regs, I would keep the pull cord switch or fit an ordinary switch outside the toilet"

Stay being an Awesome handyman and leave everyone to their own job

Brian_L likes this.
  6. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

It does not need a pull cord unless the switch would be over the sink. If you're going to leave with wet hands then a switch outside is just as dangerous as inside. There are no zones in a room without a shower or bath. You can have a switch 300mm away from a kitchen sink and its fine.

7. fire

fire Well-Known Member

As has been said, you have to pay attention to the zones as to where things can be installed.

Safest bet is, pull cord inside the poop room or put a switch on the outside of the poop room provided it is a poop room internal to the house. If it is an outside poop room then use a pull cord and hope the out building has been wired correctly to the houses consumer unit.

8. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Rubbish, safest bet is no light at all.
    There are no zones to adhere to in a toilet.
    An outside toilet is still inside.

9. fire

fire Well-Known Member

I thought he said it had a basin in the poo room.

I guess no light at all would be the safest, cant argue with that lol. Use a paraffin hurricane lamp, oh wait you need make sure you have proper ventilation for that now a days.;)

EU will be down changing the rules again and banning the sale of paraffin if they catch wind of that.

10. The kitchen guy

The kitchen guy New Member

I'd just put a sensor in place of the pull switch. No need to extend cable down to switch and no need for chasing out wall. Plus the light can't get left on. Jobs a good 'un.