Trying to fit integrated dishwasher / skirting board problem

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Elouise, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Elouise

Elouise New Member

2. Elouise

Elouise New Member

Hi
    Thank you for your reply :) Behind the machine is a normal plug socket and the waste pipe sits behind and currently connects into the adjacent cupboard which houses our sink. Currys have recommended a fused fitting so the plug will sit pretty much flush, but I don't know what I should do with the pipes - is there a way to run them directly into the sink unit?

My concern is, if the machines spec on-line says a 580 mm (ours is 570mm) recess that the machine will not fit whatever solution we try. Just so fed up as the store had no mention of this in their specs. Clearly we would have chosen a different machine if we had known.

Elouise

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This all sounds like its getting a bit over complicated but hopefully there should be a solution -I'm just a diy'er so don't know it all, just trying to help :(

Do you have any other integrated appliances in this kitchen and if so, do the doors fit flush with the kitchen cupboard doors ?

You have the dishwasher yes, so measure its depth with the door closed to its greatest depth, add the depth of the décor door and add, I dunno, 2\3 mm to allow for the fixing clips / system (Looking at mine, there's a small gap between machine door and décor door)

Now measure from the door of the existing sink unit back to the wall

Obviously your worktop will overhang the base units but these 2 measurements will tell you, theoretically, if the dishwasher will fit or not, and allow all the doors to line up flush. This will also allow the plinth across the dishwasher base to line up with existing plinth

Now the pipe work problem..... if you could add some photos of what's behind, it would save us guessing !

If the cold water supply pipe is stopping the machine from going fully back, this can be moved into the kitchen sink unit

Is the waste pipe currently fitted like this in the link;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-trap-40mm/18640

If so, this may be in the way also, in which case, remove, run flexi waste pipe attached to machine into sink unit and drain via this kind of set up, which you may already have fitted on your sink;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-trap-40mm/18640

Its likely that the dishwasher will have a void at the back to allow for pipes to be tucked into, thus not adding to the depth (or getting crushed)

Lastly there seems to be some confusion re the electrical connection to be used;
    You either have a socket behind the machine which the supplied moulded plug fits into (is this socket flush mounted in the wall or surface mounted)

Or the installers are talking about replacing the socket with a SFCU;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-dp-switched-fused-connection-unit-with-flex-outlet-white/13479

This does away with the plug and the flex connects directly behind the face plate (this would save the depth of the plug)

Either way, not ideal having the electrical connection behind the machine as doesn't allow for easy isolation during a fault (Don't know if this is just merely a recommendation or against regs, but definitely makes sense)

I would suggest a single socket fitted inside the sink unit

Good luck and let us know the outcome please :D

4. Elouise, don't panic - there are solutions. (Not sure what they are, tho'...)

The main issue, as you know, seems to be the plug socket and when this is removed you should be able to get the DW pushed in a fair amount - you are sticking oot 25mm, and a plug and socket is around 35mm.

As said before, the best thing to do with this socket is move it completely into an adjacent cabinet and not to allow Currys to simply replace it in the same location with an FSU. You need to have access to this power switch without having to pull out the DW! (Unless you have an isolating switch somewhere else like above the worktop?)

If you do have an isolating switch and they do insist on fitting an FSU in the same place, please make sure the cable comes out the bottom of the faceplate and not the front! (If it comes out the front, it'll be squished by the back of the machine and will be a future hazard. If they start doing things like this, show them the door...)

Once that has been done you'll know whether the skirting has to be removed too. I would hope that this wouldn't need doing, but if it does it's a relatively straight-forward task involving a couple of vertical cuts in it (ideally using a small cutter like a 'Dremel') and then prising off the bit in between the two cuts.

The water supply and outlet hoses might still present a problem, but it's hard to know until the plug has been removed. I am hoping that the actual water supply valves and the waste outlet 'trap' are all located in the next unit so that all that lies behind the DW are the actual hoses and no fittings.

If so, you should be ok.

5. Elouise

Elouise New Member

Hi Thanks you so much - all the posts have been so helpful. Currys came today and have shown me where the waste pipe needs to be fitted. They have confirmed that the machine will fit if I am able to do this which is a huge relief - although I won't properly relax until it's fully in.

It seems the skirting board issue is not a problem - as although there is only a small recess at the back of the machine it gets raised to avoid the skirting board - so at least that's one thing of the list. Now all I do is to have to find a friend with a circular cutter.

Thank you for all your help.

Elouise

6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

lovely! ;)

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Where are you?