Water pipes in the way

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Des Lavender, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

I'm in need of some good ideas. I'm fitting kitchen cupboards and have to take into account these two 15mm pipes that are about 500mm from the corner. Obviously the 625mm corner wall unit extends past them but there's no void. On the other wall I managed to route them behind a 300mm unit that I had to chop away and relocate the back panel. Do I do this again or do I take advantage of the fact that there is a 70mm difference between the width of the wall and the total width of the units? I don't want to channel them into the wall. This would mean that I'd have to rejig the layout so it won't be as symmetrical as intended. Thoughts please. Thanx, Des.

Attached Files:

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you could reroute them from above, take them in the corner from the room above or behind the wall if thats possible, :eek:

3. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

No, that's the problem - the units are going across the whole wall, corner unit to corner unit. Even so they originate in the far corner of the airing cupboard so getting to their 'source' is impossible - they just reduce from 22mm pipes at floorboard level. If I make use of the difference between the wall width and the total width of the units I will be able to reroute them down there - just not happy about the choices I've got. :(

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

that's plumbing for you, the pipes have to be somewhere, I'd chase them in the wall its messy and time consuming, but if a jobs worth doing....................

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

A possible answer that involves a bit of work but not as messy as chasing the wall out, is to cut one of the corner units down by 30mm so when fitted leaves a void for the pipes, this of course means you would have to route the pipes to the corner as well.:)

6. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Decided to do what I'd done on the other wall and sacrifice part of the 300mm unit. I've cut and joined the pipes so they clear the 625mm corner unit. Reason I couldn't chop this one down is that the tops and base aren't one sheet of chipboard but are two pieces dowelled together - thank you Mr B & Mr Q!

7. If you are after a 'simple' solution, all you need to do is fit two wood 2"x1" battens for the wall units to mount on to. This will mean that the return units will be pushed around 20mm further along - is that a problem?

Yes, your units will now be 'sticking out', but that won't be noticed unless there's a visible end of run, in which case you'll need a 20mm filler strip of some sort.

You will only notice this batten is you squat and look up under your wall units, or climb on top of them and look down...

8. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

DA, I made this suggestion of batten in the other threads at http://community.screwfix.com/threads/where-to-reroute-the-pipes.142424/ and he says it sounds to complex to do. So instead he going to route the pipes.

9. Yea, yeah, yeah - prove I didn't post mine first :p

(Oops - the times are on each post....)

Er, well done you... :oops:

(Anyways, I only pinch the very best ideas... :rolleyes:)

PJ Wales likes this.
  10. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

it ok, you just need to get in bit quicker :D

11. I just need to get in a bit quicker.