What am I missing.....?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by WillyEckerslike, Sep 20, 2017.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Apart from a full head of hair......

I don't get all this hive and nest stuff. What's wrong with turning the heating on when you're cold and off when you're hot and wearing a sweater (or not) during the transition? What's wrong with using the boiler programmer and thermostat/TRVs? If I've understood the radio advert correctly it costs £120 a year to go on holiday safe in the knowledge that you've turned the heating off or to log in and check that the dog hasn't climbed on the sofa. And as for drawing the curtains. Really?
    Because of that and/or the capital costs of the equipment and installation I don't buy the argument that it's to save money on energy costs. We're getting lazier by the minute. There's a thread running where there seem to be genuine concerns about malicious hacking of your central heating system if you are connected to your phone. Hmm. My phone (although it gets used less as a phone than most of its other capabilities) is quite good, but I can't yet see a time when some ne'er do well is going to hack it so that my wood gets automatically cut and split and stacked and stored and brought in. Is there an app for that?

Accepted there are people with mobility issues for whom this technology must be a real boon but for the rest of us.....?

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

In the main it is pandering to laziness and people's failure to sort everything before they go on holiday.

Yes, there are cases where the ability to remotely or automatically draw curtains and switch lights on/off can be useful such as remote locations or houses hidden away. But in general most people know when they will be home so can set the heating timer appropriately - yes, they may get delayed but overall is an extra 30 minutes of heating that wasteful? Or is having to keep a jumper on for ten minutes a real big problem?

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Well said. I hadn't thought about people with mobility issues that's a fair point.

I'm not sure that it's for lazy people though. I'm lazy and I can't see the point of this either.

But can I interest you in BTIW Industries latest invention?

Introducing the iPutSomeBloodyWarmClothesOn.
    The iPutSomeBloodyWarmClothesOn is a sleek panel that acts as an upgrade to your existing thermostat.
    The flat panel display features the message "Of course you're cold - you're wearing shorts and t-shirt in December. Leave the thermostat alone and put some bloody clothes on".
    It's sleek at approximately 0.1 mm thick*, never runs out of charge** and comes with a smooth paper white finish.
    All this for the amazing low price of $99 (or £119).***

Or treat yourself to the iPutSomeBloodyWarmClothesOn Pro for only $149 (£179)
    Where the same message features an exclamation mark for emphasis and style.

* thickness may vary depending on the paper I find.
    ** solar powered I suppose.
    *** Blu-tac not included

4. :)

I suspect a Hive or Nest is utterly wasted in the majority of installations. For many it won't do anything more than a Prog Stat does for 5 times the cost.

I would say that Prog Stats are awesome, tho', and do take the hassle out of everyday controlling.

My Bro's gas bill in his tiny 2 bed flat is roughly 3 times mine in my 3 bed house. Why? Because he doesn't know how to control it, so basically had it running 24/7 - including when he was away, which is a lot. He controls the temperature by opening windows...

(Mind you, one window has been missing a glass pane for 2 years now)

When he had a new boiler fitted recently I tried to persuade him to go for one of these App-enabled controllers - he'd be one of the few who would genuinely benefit from it - turn off the heating when he's about to board a plane home, and then get the flat warm as he catches the tube on his return.

But no. For someone who used to pay £2k for his gas, he thought over £100 for a heating controller was taking the Mick... :oops:

5. WillyEckerslike

That's a great idea but.....

What about licensing the digital image so that I can have that on my phone thereby avoiding having to walk over to the thermostat?

btiw2 likes this.
  6. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I don't want to be rude (but I will, as it seems a shame not use one of my God given gifts), but it sounds like your brother is an idiot.

If he can't work out how to control the temperature in his house (except by opening windows [I'm laughing as I type this]) then I'm not sure he can be trusted with anything involving oil or gas.
    In fact, I'm not sure he can be trusted with anything more complicated than cheese.

I fail to see how a Hive or Nest could be less complicated? Pressing buttons on the existing programmer is too complicated, yet pairing this thing with a wifi network and a smart phone enabled app is easier?

Or perhaps your brother has become confused with Microsoft's marketing. After all, he is controlling his house with windows.

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

It will all end badly!!

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

All started going wrong year ago. Someone I knew had a gas fire that had a remote control. (just so he didn't have to get up of his behind to turn it on). A mate of mine can now start his car remotely using an app on his iPhone (nice for cold mornings I suppose,, but connecting your car to the bloody internet? It's gonna get hacked one day ;)), get the iPhone to turn the heating on so his house will be warm when he arrives home (nice if you work varied hours and don't always arrive home at the same time every weekday) Where will it all end? :p:p:p

9. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I assume that's Pre Grated, knives are dangerous.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have one of those too ... only because it is a "feature" and controls would spoil the look of it. There is a back up wired pad tucked away and that is used most of the time ... The fire can be set to get teh room to a specific temperature, as measured in the controller and will then reduce the level when the temp is reached. However, it is not connected to the network.

12. WillyEckerslike

Sorry, missed that. My thoughts exactly. I suspect that the people who justify this on cost grounds alone would also be the sort to trade in their perfectly functional car for a new one that does slightly more mpg completely ignoring the depreciation that has been incurred in the process.

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Bargain . I'll ave 6

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well I own a 15+ year old Lexus RX300 that struggles to do 25mpg, may be I should spend £000s to replace it in order to get an extra few mpg :rolleyes:

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I can see a new c4 series coming up!!!!!

16. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Ya wasteful planet destroyer you, should be ashamed of yourself. You could always buy my 14 year old Golf diesel that has always done at least 50mpg......................could be as good as upgrading to Windows10 :D

Dr Bodgit likes this.