What to do with Earth when installing double insulated downlights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pete Hanbury, Jul 17, 2016.

1. nffc

nffc Active Member

Errrr. No you do not leave them bent over with sleeping on.

Risteard likes this.
  2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I always put it in Terminal block taped up, but I have seen many of sparks using that method.

Like I said wait till others have their say

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Very messy Mr T.

tore81 and KIAB like this.
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

One of the few times that I might consider using a terminal/choc block

5. ChrisPat

ChrisPat New Member

Not a sparks, A level Physics, some time working with a plant engineer who was inclined to say "Work it out from first principles" and a brother who tends to say the same but delights in pointing out errors and is a member of the IEEE. He designs HV powerlines and other trivial stuff.

First principles then;
    Earth wires are safe to hold even if they are actually earthing a current. That's the whole point and why you don't have to insulate copper plumbing pipe, earth spikes, strapping etc.

So what might go wrong?
    Stray earth wire touches either of the other conductors / terminals and the earth does what it's for which will trip any RCD you might (just might) have fitted.

So you don't want earth to touch anything conductive.
    Options;
    Use two core and no earth to worry about.
    Con; Somebody who later needs an earth will have to go back and replace said two core, then come "dance" on your grave.

Snip the earth off short.
    Con; Somebody who later needs an earth will have to go back and replace the cable, then come "dance" on your grave.

Bend it over, cover with earth sleeving.
    Con; Copper work hardens so somebody who later needs an earth may have it snap off as they try to straighten it; then they'll have to go back and replace the cable, then come "dance" on your grave.

Cover with overlength sleeving.
    Con; Will fall off. A gentle but round bend will keep it on without much work hardening the copper.

Cover with earth coded insulation tape.
    Con; Somebody who later needs an earth will have sticky goo to deal with, then come "dance" on your grave.

Cover with a screw connection, identify that with earth coded insulation tape.
    Con; Screws might fail, but why are you tightening them that much when you don't need conduction?

Cover with a spring loaded connector.
    Cons; Have you got one / some handy?

I came here 'cos I had exactly the same question. Thanks to all who've offered options and the OP.

tore81 likes this.
  6. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

If you leave some slack in the cable, they could just cut it back rather than replacing it.

7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

If you have a current flowing in an earth wire then should it become open circuit you will have a voltage difference between it and actual earth, so it may well not be safe.

An earth spike by its very name, is earthed.

Also as the last post from Pollowick was July 2016 I think they have probably sorted it.

Kind regards

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I thought this was the thread we had a few months back.

9. ChrisPat

ChrisPat New Member

Bazza-
    If by open circuit you mean it isn't earthed any more then it...isn't earthed. Which in this case isn't anything to do with what you do with the end of the earth cable on a double insulated fixing. If that isn't earthed the problem isn't where you are looking.
    Yes, the OP may have asked then but I had exactly the same question and this thread helped me do it to my satisfaction.
    Which, btw, isn't any of the above. The fitting does have a blind hole in the plastic for an earth terminal that isn't fitted. Cover the earth core with sleeving and push it into said hole at the same time as the two other cores go into their terminals either side. Earth insulated from the other two and as easy to hange to something else as it will ever be.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Just to double check as I am doing a few lights at present at home. If there is an earth present and fitting is double insulated I am sleeving it and terminating it in 222 wago and tucking it inside the fitting.

This ok?

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes ok, no problem with that.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Brill. Thanks If I cant get it in the fitting then I am popping it up in the ceiling in a wago box. Overkill or required?

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That would be the correct way to do it but tbh i'd probably just tuck it up in the hole in the ceiling, you'll need quite a big hole to get a Wago box in there!