Where on earth is this brown water coming from?!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jamson, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Jamson

Jamson New Member

Hi Kiab...but wouldn't it come out of kitchen or basin taps too?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I was assuming the combi was closest to bathroom,& usually the first tap water is drawn from in the morning.
    In the morning try the kitchen taps first & see if you get the brown water, might need to run it a while.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd check those short lengths/bends of copper you've put in for iron content!

You might first do that by poking a cloth down there to see if there is any corrosion.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Mr H, all is not as it seems when it comes to certain stuff!, I use 4 pair BT cable in my game, I need full copper, I don't get it unless I ask/pay more.

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

OP
    There must be iron particles held in the system local to those taps...and not being flushed out when water runs.
    Is it possible to dis the piping from the taps and as far back as poss in bathroom...take outside and inspect..dis assemble flush. ?
    RS

6. Jamson

Jamson New Member

I took the garden taps off and fed a wire/bottle brush down the pipe. It came back rusty but has since been ok. Fingers crossed!

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Just out of interest has you water main in the street been upgraded in the last few years or have you recently been fitted with a water meter.

8. Blimey. Iron pipes feeding the garden taps?

9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Twas a time DA, way back when Tom was a nipper that entire water systems were done in galvi pipes ;)

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:rolleyes::D:D:D:D

11. Jamson

Jamson New Member

Hi All.
    Thanks for your help. It seems the bushes had caused the copper tails to become tainted. The wire brush down the pipe cleared it and it's now running clean after a week of gradually getting clearer.

Best wishes

Jamson