Wrong pipe size

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Neylandboy, May 3, 2016.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Your pipe and fittings will be stamped BS 5255 which is ID.
    Fittings and pipe stamped EN1455 is OD.

Buy the EN1455 stuff the next time if you want to avoid confusion.
    Simples...http://www.plasticpipesgroup.com/media/1035/bulletin4.pdf

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thanks for the link Ryluer! That makes things very clear, and why I like it here - you learn stuff!

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Don't blame SF for this ... they use the manufacturers specification and definition.

What about 1/2" pipe? That is actually 15mm OD not 12.7 and the fittings are 15mm ID - that sizing has been around a very long time.

There are also differences to ensure that potable and waste water pipes cannot be connected together.

4. Neylandboy

Neylandboy New Member

You are a jerk, aren't you, you and Deleted member 11267 both. I needed "black" pipe. You cannot get "black" pressure pipe. I know this. I don't need pressure pipe, aquarium pipework systems inside the tank are not under pressure, ergo no need for pressure pipe. Got that? I see "black" pipe advertised as 32mm and fully expected it to be 32mm not 36mm as that would make it 36mm "black" pipe. I congratulate you on your visual ability to spot the dimensions of different pipework by the way! Way to go!
    Pair of idiots. Please carry on accepting shoddy service/advertising/work. I'm sure you are used to it.

5. It is you who is the jerk.
    Congratulations on buying some fittings for the bin.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I would dearly like to tell you a few things but this action would get me banned from this forum

Can you not comprehend the fact that it is you that has messed up and not SF or even the pipe manufacturers .... But YOU

suggest you do some research before you buy, especially on items being used outside of their intended use

Doubt you will get much help or sympathy here though with your stinking attitude and rudeness

Welcome to the Screwfix Forum........1st post ...... Now goodbye ...... Please :D

teabreak and Dave does Gas like this.
  7. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

To be fair, this has been a great post!
    Neylandboy has come on here and proved himself a complete plonker, he just cannot accept that he has bought the wrong product and therefore someone else must be to blame.
    We used to get these sorts of post almost weekly in the 'good old days', sadly few and far between now which is why I think this forum has become very 'dry'.
    So thank you Neyland, you've certainly cheered up my week.
    Wonder what your next project will be - please post here for us to enjoy :)

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I hope it's a macerator then we will see the **** hit the fan :p:p

longboat likes this.
  9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Just knew the guy would kick off, that's why suggested he should go to a merchants and then would realise sf hasn't done him over with their "false advertising".
    TBF though you would have thought BSP, BSPT, BSBF and all the rest of them should be obsolete, when ya cant even sell a bunch off bananas by the lb.
    Get it sorted out EU.:D

11. Because it's the internal diameter not the external
    Because it's the internal not external measurments

12. Sorry for 2 posts I didn't think it had posted

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

'Erase and rewind'

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I must admit that I have problems with sizing on plumbing fitting, you just learn from experience what is what but wood sizes aren't exactly clear either.
    I confused a new trainee today when I asked him to rip some 3x1 in half to end up with 33x22, I didn't bother to measure what he made as it did the job but it wasn't 33x22. :)

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The Cardigans...............;)

16. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

At least with plumbing you know what ya getting, ask for a 3/4M-1/2F adapter and you get exactly what you need.
    When your in a wood shop you need to take a measure with you and wander round looking at stuff to get what you want and that's why I love going to the timber yard. You get to have a good look about. :)

17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Did he learn anything?

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You need to know that the two bits of pipe you have, neither which are sold as or measure 3/4 or 1/2 actually are.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He learnt how to fix wood to a steel frame, I didn't want to confuse him by giving too much info at one time.
    He's getting more confident on the table saw and the cross cut so the details can be taught later.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yep :)